LEVEL – 1
1. Help Menu is available at which button?
(a) End (b) Start (c) Turnoff (d) Restart
2. To change selected text to all capital letters, click the change case button, and then click
(a) uppercase (b) upper all (c) capslock (d) lock Upper
3. If you change Windows 98 to Windows XP, you are actually performing
(a) upstart (b) upgrade (c) update (d) patch
4. A menu contains a list of (a) commands (b) data (c) objects (d) reports
5. Text and graphics that have been out of copied are stored in an area called the __________.
(a) Pasteboard (b) copy board (c) clipboard (d) cutting board
6. In any window, the maximize button, the minimize button and the close buttons appear on
(a) The title bar (b) Menu bar (c) Status bar (d) Ruler bar
7. Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT are known as
(a) Processors (b) domain names (c) modems (d) operating systems
8. Which is a graphical representation of an application?
(a) Window 95 (b) Windows Explorer (c) Icon (d) Taskbar
9. Customising settings of which of the following will have the greatest effect on your ability to read text on your computer screen in Windows 7?
(a) Backgrounds (b) Clear Type (c) Aero glass effects (d) Gadgets
10. Windows create – files as it runs applications. Excess of these files may slowdown the computer.
(a) Library (b) Temporary (c) Virtual (d) Virus
11. Sometimes due to the heavy use of the computer system, some unnecessary files are created and stored on the disc. Which of the following features of an operating system is used for checking files that are not frequently used or the files that were created for temporary purpose in Windows 7?
(a) Disk Defragmenter (b) Disk Cleanup (c) File archiver (d) antivirus
12. In Windows 7, in the search box of Start menu, type __________ to verify that every installed device is working as it should.
(a) Install Manager (b) Device Manager (c) Install Device (d) Check Device
13. MSConfig is a system utility that is used to enable or disable – that run at startup or change boot parameters in Windows 7.
(a) Software (b) Device drivers (c) Windows services (d) All of these
14. Select the odd one out.
15. Instead of pointing and clicking on the icons to open the files and folders in computer, Ritu always has to type the command ‘directory’. Which of the following operating systems she might be using in which she has to learn the commands to use the computer system?
16. Which among the following is an example of real time operating system?
(a) Windows (b) LINUX (c) UNIX (d) LynxOS
17. Which of the following is the function of operating system as a memory management?
(i) It manages the sharing of internal memory among multiple applications.
(ii) It assigns memory to various programs whenever required.
(iii) It provides security by means of passwords to prevent the misuse of computer.
(a) Only (i) (b) Only (ii) (c) Both (i) and (ii) (d) Only (iii)
18. Which of the following is/are the multi-user operating system?
(a) Linux (b) Unix (c) Mac OS X (d) All of these
19. The __________ of software contains lists of commands and options.
(a) menu bar (b) tool bar (c) title bar (d) formula bar
20. To display the contents of a folder in Windows Explorer you should __________.
(a) click on it (b) collapse it (c) name it (d) give a password
21. _______ are lists of commands that appear on the screen.
(a) GUIs (b) Icons (c) Menus (d) Windows
22. __________ Explorer is a tool that lets you more easily navigate the files and folders on your computer.
(a) Windows (b) Netscape (c) Internet (d) Microsoft
23. Before the days of Windows, users interfaced with the operating system through a ________ interface.
(a) graphical (b) object oriented (c) command utility (d) command line
24. __________ is when the more power-hungry components, such as the monitor and the hard drive are put in idle.
(a) Hibernation (b) Powerdown (c) Standby mode (d) The shutdown procedure
25. Microsoft’s operating system Windows
(a) is designed for multiple concurrent users.
(b) has a graphical user interface.
(c) can perform multitasking.
(d) performs all of the above functions.