Sex Determination in Human Beings
- A person can have a male sex or a female sex.
- The process by which the sex of a person is determined is called sex determination.
- Genetics is involved in the determination of the sex of a person.
- The chromosomes which determine the sex of a person are called sex chromosomes.
- There are two types of sex chromosomes, one is called X chromosome and the other is called Y chromosome.
- Somatic cells in human beings contain 23 pairs of chromosomes.
- Out of them the 23rd pair is composed of different types of chromosomes which are named as X and Y chromosomes.
Heredity Evolution,Speciation Notes on Science For Class 10th
- The 23rd pair contains one X and one Y chromosome in a male.
- On the other hand, the 23rd pair in a female contains X chromosomes.
- This means that all the eggs would have X chromosome as the 23rd chromosome,
- While a sperm may have either X or Y chromosome as the 23rd chromosome.
- When a sperm with a chromosome fertilizes the egg.
- The resulting zygote would develop into a female child.
- When a sperm with Y chromosome fertilizes the egg, the resulting Zygote would develop into a male child
Check Out the detailed notes and previous year questions here
Heredity and Evolution NCERT Solutions For Class 10th SCIENCE
error: Content is protected !!