HEREDITY AND EVOLUTION
Very Short Answer Type Questions (1 Mark each)
1. Name two important factors that cause development of a new species.
2. How can the chromosomes be identified?
3. When does the process of gene flow take place?
Short Answer Type I Questions (2 Mark each)
4. Define the following terms.
(b) Dihybrid cross
5. Write down the ratio of the progeny obtained from the following cross.
(a) Tt X Tt
Tall plant Tall plant
(b) RRyy X rrYY
Round green Wrinkled yellow
6. What is the contribution of Charles Darwin on our knowledge of evolution?
7. Why the small number of a species is a matter of worry from genetics point of view?
8. Plant A shows the growth of leaves in axillary position and plant B shows the growth
of tendrils in it. Do the leaf and tendrils of the two plants share any relationship with
each other? Explain.
9. If a round, green seeded (RRyy) pea plant is crossed with wrinkled, yellow seeded
(rrYY) pea plant, what will be the genotype of seeds produced in F,- generation?
10. Aditya is trying to observe some organisms in lab and to compare them. How can he
confirm that they share an evolutionary history?
Short Answer Type II Questions (3 Marks each)
11. What are heredity and variation? Why did Mendel select garden pea plant to
conduct his genetics experiments?
12. ‘Variations that confer advantage to an individual organism only will survive in
13. What does help scientists to reconstruct the pattern and trends that existed in. the
history of life on the Earth?
Long Answer Type Questions (5 Marks each)
14. Ovum and sperm are both female and male gametes, respectively. But what is so
intricate in sperm which makes it solely responsible for determining the sex of the
15. Define the following
( c) Recessive trait
( e) Genetics
(b) Genetic drift