ACIDS, BASES AND SALTS
In this Chapter, we will study all the three types of compounds, acids, bases and salts, in detail.
Topics Covered in the Lessons are
- Types of Compounds : Acids, Bases and Salts
- Indicators for Testing Acids and Bases : Dyes Which Change Colour in Acids and Bases
- Acid-Base Indicators : Litmus, Methyl Orange, Phenolphthalein, Turmeric, Red Cabbage Extract and Olfactory Indicators (Onion and Vanilla Extract) ; Acids : Mineral Acids and Organic Acids
- Strong Acids and Weak Acids; Concentrated Acids and Dilute Acids ; Diluting Acids ;
- Properties of Acids
- Properties of Bases and Uses of Bases
- Strength of Acid and Base Solutions
- Importance of pH in Everyday Life
- Salts ; Family of Salts ; The pH of Salt Solutions ;
- Acidic, Basic and Neutral Salts ; Common Salt (Sodium Chloride)
- Chemicals from Common Salt : Sodium Hydroxide (Caustic Soda), Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate), Baking Soda (Sodium Hydrogencarbonate) ; Bleaching Powder (Calcium Oxychloride) ; Plaster of Paris (Calcium Sulphate Hemihydrate) ; Water of
Crystallisation ; Hydrated Salts ; Action of Heat on Hydrated Salts.