NOTE ON ALLOYS
- An alloy is a homogeneous mixture of two or more metals, or a metal and a non-metal.
- The properties of any metal can be changed if it is mixed with some other substance.
- The substance added may be a metal or a non-metal.
- Alloying is a very good method of improving the properties of a metal according to our need.
- Iron is never used in its pure state.
- This is because pure iron is very soft and stretches easily when hot.
- When mixed with a small amount of carbon (about 0.05 %), it becomes hard and strong.
- iron is mixed with nickel and chromium, to get stainless steel, which is hard and does not rust.