Control and Coordination
- All living organisms (plants and animals) respond and react to change in the environment around them.
- The changes in the environment to which the organisms respond and react are called stimuli.
- The living organisms show response to stimuli such as light, heat, cold, sound, smell, taste, touch, pressure, pain, water, and force of gravity, etc.
- if a man touches a very hot utensil accidently, he quickly pulls his hand away from the hot utensil.
- Here, heat is the stimulus and the man reacts by moving his hand away from the hot utensil.
- Similarly leaves of sensitive plants (Mimosa pudica) when touched with pencil (or fingers), the sensitive plant responds by folding up its leaves.
- Thus we can say that reaction to stimuli is a characteristic property of the living organisms.
Coordination: The working together of the various organs of an organism in a systematic manner so as to produce a proper response to the stimulus, is called coordination.
Control and Coordination will Cover following topics
1) Animals – Nervous System
2) Reflex Actions
3) Human Brain
4) Coordination in Plants
5) Endocrine Gland