DIFFERENT FORMS OF COMMUNAL POLITICS-
- People often believe that ideas of their religion are superior to the ideas of other religions.
- People of a particular religion wants maximum representation of their religion in the politics.
- This takes the form of majoritarian dominance.
- As a result of it people of minority community then demand separate state for themselves
- Mobilizing people on communal lines in politics is another form of communal politics.
- Mobilization is done on the basis of emotional appeals, fear, symbols, religious slogan by leaders etc.
- In its most ugly form communalism leads to violence.
- People from various religions are opposite to each other and they use violence to show their religion’s domination
- EXAMPLE –India and Pakistan suffered some of the worst communal riots at the time of partition.
CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISIONS THAT MAKE INDIA A SECULAR STATE
- There is no official religion for the Indian State.
- In Sri lanka-Buddhism
- In Pakistan- Islam
- In England- Christianity
- The Constitution provides to all individual and communities freedom to profess, practice and propagate any religion of their own choice.
- The Constitution prohibits discrimination on the grounds of religion.
- At the same time the Constitution allows the state to intervene in the matters of religion in order to ensure equality within religious communities.
- It bans Untouchability.