Gender And Politics
- This is a form of hierarchical social division seen everywhere, but is rarely recognized in the study of politics.
- The gender divisions tends to be understood as natural and unchangeable.
- Not based on biology but on social expectations and stereotypes
Examples of division by Gender
- At home and outside ,it is said that the main responsibility of women is housework and bringing up children.
- While boys should do the outside work.
- Even you must have heard people saying , boys don’t cry or don’t cry like a girl.
- These are few instances where discrimination is done without any suitable reasons of such beliefs.
- When these jobs are paid for, men are ready to take up these works.
- Most tailors or cooks in hotels are men as they get paid for it .
- Similarly, it is not that women do not work outside their home.
- In villages, women fetch water, collect fuel and work in the fields.
- In urban areas, poor women work as domestic helper in middle class homes, while
- middle class women work in offices.
- In fact the majority of women do some sort of paid work in addition to domestic labour.
- But their work is not valued and does not get recognition
|Feminist: A woman or a man who believes in equal rights and opportunities for women and men.