STATUS OF WOMEN’S REPRESENTATION IN INDIA’S LEGISLATIVE BODIES
- In India women participation in political area is very low
- In Lok Sabha it is not even 10%.
- In State Assembly it is as low as 5%.
- Latin America and Africa women participation is higher than India
- Feminist movements are the movements organized by the women organizations for equality for women in personal and family life.
- Political expression of gender division and political mobilisation on this role in public life.
- We now find women working as scientists, doctors, engineers, lawyers, managers and college and university teachers which were earlier not considered suitable for women
- In Scandinavian countries such as Sweden, Norway and Finland, the participation of women in public life is very high
STEPS CAN BE TAKEN TO IMPROVE WOMEN’S REPRESENTATION IN POLITICS
- It should be legally binding to have fair proportion representation of women in the elected bodies
- Some seats should be reserved for women in State Assemblies and in lok sabha
- Political parties should give proper representation to women members.
- Women participation can be increased by raising the literacy rate.