The use of Symbols to represent nationalism
- Visualizing the nation means using particular symbols to represent a nation. Nation is an abstract concept.
- Generally a nation is personified by displaying human figure. If we observe historically, the visualization of nation was mainly prerogative of personifying nation into a female figure.
- The allegory of France is Marianne, a Christian name. The French people marked her images on coins and stamps. She stood for Liberty and the republic.
- Artists portrayed Germania to represent Germany as a nation. Germania wears a crown of oak leaves that stands for heroism.
- In the USA, the figure of Columbia preserves the unity of the states.
- The revolutionaries in French revolution portrayed liberty, equality and justice with female figures. The use of allegory to represent a nation concretizes the national sentiment of the people.